How to Start a Fashion Blog
A Step by Step Dummy Proof Guide
Darling, you look fabulous. 🙂
Seriously, a lover of fashion like you can probably relate to this…
If you are the ‘go-to’ person for all your friends when they need to know what to wear for a hot date…
Or if you are constantly shopping with family and friends, and helping them to pick out that perfect outfit to add to their wardrobe…
Then why not take your love and passion for fashion to the next level, and start sharing it with the world on your very own fashion blog?
Sure, you have likely already seen that there are hundreds, if not thousands of fashion blogs out there already, and that’s a beautiful thing, really. Why? Because fashion is such a relative concept.
You have an opportunity to bring YOUR sense of style and YOUR ideas about fashion to the blogging table. Just be you, let your personality shine, and you’ll be off to a good start.
You may have already noticed that the vast majority of fashion blogs on the net today are poorly designed, outdated, rarely updated and difficult to find.
The reality is, there is still a lot of potential for people who have a strong interest in fashion and want to talk or write about it on their very own blog, and I can help you to fill that need.
The important thing, however, is that you need to make sure your fashion blog really stands out from the crowd, and that is where I can help. I’ve walked thousands of people through making their own high quality blogs on a wide range of different topics, and I want to help you get your blog up and running too.
In this guide you will find excellent tips and tricks that tie your fashion experience with my blogging expertise perfectly. These tips are written specifically for fashion bloggers, and when you get my regular updates, you’ll always have the most up-to-date and useful information on how to keep your blog growing.
Don’t worry, you don’t need any type of technical knowledge or previous experience working on a website. It is all extremely easy, even for a beginner. The only thing you need to become a successful fashion blogger is a love for fashion and a willingness to put in a little bit of effort.
How to Start Your own Fashion Blog in 3 Easy Steps (Don’t Worry, it will take less than 10 minutes!)
Go ahead and make a cup of your favorite coffee and get ready to create your very first fashion blog by simply following these easy steps:
1) Find and purchase a domain name – The domain is the address of your site, so pick something recognizable and then see if it is available. Choosing a .com or .net domain name that is easy to remember, and is immediately recognizable to your fashion savvy audience will really help you get off on the right foot. Something like this: fashionstatementsfromflorida.com
2) Get Your Hosting – The hosting is the actual computer where the website will reside on. I always recommend BlueHost because they are affordable, and trustworthy. They also have 24/7 tech support in case you run into trouble. If you find you’re not happy with their service, they have a 100% no questions asked money back guarantee, so you really have nothing to lose. Because they’re so easy to use, I recommend them to any new blogger. [Disclosure] BlueHost gives me a small commission for my referral and it doesn’t add anything to your cost. This helps me continue to provide lots of free information for bloggers.
3) Install WordPress – Finally, you need to install WordPress, which is your content management system. To put it simply, this is the software that will let you post content to your site. It can be installed in just one click from your hosting’s control panel, so it really couldn’t be simpler.
To make this entire process much easier, I’ve created this simple video that will walk you through how to buy a domain name, sign up for hosting and finally installing WordPress. Watch the video and then click on this link to browse over to BlueHost and get started.
Tips for the Beginner Fashion Blogger
When you’re just getting started as a fashion blogger, you want to make sure you get off on the right foot. The following simple tips will help you to get up and running successfully, right from your first post:
• Plan Your Categories – One of the first things you should do when starting a fashion blog is plan out at least 4-5 categories to help keep your site organized. This could be things like “Summer Fashion,” “Winter Fashion,” and so on. It could also be fashion specific to your favorite designers. Whatever you think works best for your blog, just make sure you have a good number to ensure it is well organized.
• Post Regularly – When you’re first starting a new blog you need to make sure you build up some content on the site right away so it doesn’t look like an abandoned site. Creating five posts right away and putting them up will help get you off on the right foot.
• Cover Recent Fashion News – One of the best ways to start attracting visitors is to have information about the latest news in the industry. Write about upcoming fashion shows, for example, and you’ll quickly find you have traffic to your page.
• Interact with Your Audience – As people begin to find your site, make sure they can interact with you. Allow them to make comments on your posts, and set up a ‘contact us’ page so they can send you a message. The more you interact, the more loyal the visitors will become.
• Give Advice – What good is a fashion blog if there is no advice on how people can look their best? Make sure you make lots of posts that give great fashion advice.
• Consider Guest Posts – Another great way to build relationships and get visitors is to guest post on other fashion blogs. Find the best ones (there is a list just below) and see if any of them will allow you to write a post on their site, with a link back to your page. This is a wonderful opportunity for both you and the other site owner.
• Watch for Fashion Events – You absolutely must cover every fashion event on your blog. Each major event can be multiple posts. One that is leading up to it, talking about who will be there and what to expect. One during or immediately after the event, and finally one a few days after it is over to recap.
• Give Lots of Opinions – The world of fashion is all about people’s opinions, and that is what people will come to your site to read. People who agree will love to read what you have to say. Those who disagree will love to come back and comment on why they think you are wrong!
• Multi-Media – Make the site a multi-media experience. Post videos, pictures and other things to spice up the site. Remember, fashion is a very visual world so you need to have your site reflect that.
• Post Your Own Fashion Designs – If you happen to be a designer, make sure you post about your ideas, or post pictures of clothing that you’ve made. This can be a great way to get discovered, or at the very least it will help your readers get to know you a little better.
Free & Paid WordPress Themes for Fashion Blogs
The WordPress theme is what gives your site a custom look and feel. Choosing the right one is extremely important. Fortunately, there are thousands to pick from. The following are three great free options and three premium (paid) options that you may want to consider.
• Style – The Style theme is bright with heavy contrast to help it really stand out strong. It also has all the features your users will love.
• Rebelion – This is a darker theme, which works well with many fashion related blogs. The theme allows each post to feature an image as well as other content.
• Scene – This is a very easy to use site that has massive images as the focus, and easy to read text. Ideal for any fashion site that has a focus on images.
• The Stylist – This is a beautiful them that is custom made just for fashion blogs. It features bold image options and lots of fun design features.
• Runway Pro – The Runway theme is a fresh, clean look that also features images prominently. Easy to navigate and optimized for fashion lovers.
• Fashion Forward – This is another theme made just for fashion sites. It has a great ‘recent posts’ feature and a dynamic layout that is easy to use.
Recommended WordPress Plugins for Fashion Blogs
WordPress Plugins allow you to add custom features and abilities to your blog. The following are some of the most essential options for anyone who is looking to start a fashion focused blog:
• ShareThis – This simple plugin adds a button to your post so visitors can share it with their friends and family.
• The Events Calendar – Putting up a calendar of fashion events is a great way to keep users engaged.
• Google Translate – Fashion is a truly international experience so having your page be able to translate into any language is essential.
• Fashion Traffic – Easily monetize your site with this plugin that allows you to promote fashion products.
• Ajax Post Carousel – This lets you easily display thumb nails on your site for simple browsing.
Great Fashion Blogs to Take Inspiration from and Network with
One of the best ways to become a fashion blogger is to learn from, and network with, other bloggers in the industry. Fortunately, the world of fashion blogging is often very friendly and helpful. Review some of the following sites and find which ones you love the most. See if you can interact with the owner, and take inspiration from the way they run their site.
• Fashion Style Blog – This site is always up to date on the latest trends and information from throughout the fashion industry. They post regularly, and cover just about every aspect of fashion you can imagine. This is an excellent place to get ideas and become inspired.
• The Bag Blog – While the main focus of this blog is bags, they also cover a range of other fashion topics. This can be a great site to network with and learn about how to maintain a primary focus, while still allowing your site to explore other related areas of fashion.
• Pop Sugar – One of the best things about this blog is how quickly they update it with latest news and trends. They also are well organized to make the overall user experience very easy. Networking with the owner, or writers on this site could be very helpful to any new blogger.
• Go Fug Yourself – This site is more dedicated to the sometimes ugly side of fashion. It can be a great inspiration to show you that you can take a potentially unorthodox approach to your fashion blog, and still become very successful.
• My Lovely Big Feet – Here is a perfect example of how, if you wish, you can become extremely focused with your fashion blog. This site is all about high fashion for big feet, and it does surprisingly well!
As you can see, the world of fashion blogging can be fun and exciting. If this is a topic that you are passionate about and you think you might be interested in starting your own blog, now is the time to do it.
Remember, you are not alone in your journey. I am here to help you every step of the way so you can get your blog up and running in no time. You can contact me anytime, and I’ll be sure to get back to you just as soon as I can.
If you’re interested in learning more about creating a fashion blog, and staying updated with all the latest tips (and secrets) about blogging that I publish, why not sign up for my free newsletter? Once you sign up, I’ll send you periodic emails with valuable information.