How to Start a Fitness Blog
Be an inspiration and share your knowledge with a fitness blog!
Regardless of whether you want to sell fitness products on the internet, want to become the most popular online Trainer or help promote your brick and mortar business. A good fitness blog will help you make more while you work less.
I am here to help you build your own fitness blog from scratch. This guide is for everybody including people who don’t know anything about coding. I have made it as simple as possible such that the only skill you will require to understand this guide is basic computer knowledge.
I have divided this guide into three parts; part one is three step text tutorial on creating your own blog; part two is a video tutorial and part 3 is everything else you need to make the blog top notch. Brace yourself, you are minutes away from your own fitness blog;
How to start your own Fitness Blog in 3 Simple Steps
Do you have 20 minutes to spare? In just three steps, you will have your blog ready for exciting fitness content. Get the champagne glasses ready…
1. Choose and Buy Your Domain – A domain or web address is the name and address of your website. Your blog will most likely be referred by your domain name and thus it is very critical that you choose a name that is simple and easy to comprehend.
You can opt to buy a domain or you can get one for free simply by buying a hosting package from BlueHost (I will shed more light on this). A good domain name should have either a .com or net prefix, since they are easy to remember.
2. Sign Up for Hosting – A hosting provider is remote server that stores all your blog content including pictures and text. A good web host is important, especially when you start receiving more web traffic. I always recommend Bluehost for hosting because:
a. It is so easy to use
b. Signing up takes just moments, and they let you register your domain on their site as well.
c. If you purchase a hosting package, you get a free domain!
d. Their service is also very affordable so you don’t need to invest much at all to get your Fitness blog started.
e. They offer excellent 24/7 customer support if needed.
[Disclosure] BlueHost gives me a small commission for my referral and it doesn’t add anything to your cost. This helps me continue to provide lots of free information for bloggers.
3. Install WordPress
You can now get your champagne chilled, you are just a step away from earning the title Fitness Blog owner. Finally, you will need to install WordPress. WordPress is the actual software that will run your website. Installing WordPress on BlueHost just takes one click.
If you need a visual step by step guide to creating your own fitness blog, I’ve created a simple video that will walk you through each of these steps so you can see how it is done yourself. Watch this video, and then follow the link, which will bring you to BlueHost where you can purchase your domain and hosting.
Tips for the fitness Blogger
Congratulations for having your very own fitness blog. Now to make your blog competitive and interesting, I have compiled a few notes to guide you. Please take your time to go through the simple tips;
- Post often– Most bloggers become inactive within the first 90 days. Keeping your visitors regularly updated will encourage them to keep coming back.
- Know your reader– make your blog centered around your visitors. Check your comments section. It will give you an insight of who your readers are. Once you understand your visitors, post content that is relevant to them.
- Keep your content fresh– avoid writing about the same topic over and over again. I know you might have a specific blog niche or a specific target audience, but everyone gets bored with the same stuff. You can use our blog topic generator for keeping your website fresh and give your visitors new content.
- Spread the word– Make sure you have a link to your blog on all your social media accounts. The more you preach about your blog, the more visitors you get to your site. Ask friends to spread the word, print T-shirts, pay for advertisements , etc. anything to get the word out
- Read and Respond to Comments– When your blog starts getting popular, you will notice that your visitors will be making comments on your blog posts. This is a perfect way to learn more about your readers. Always respond to comments in a friendly and professional manner.
Top Free & Paid WordPress Themes for Fitness Blogs
WordPress is by far the best and most popular content management system used by 24% of the entire worldwide web. It is simple to set up, versatile and free to use for both commercial and personal use. The WordPress community ensures that you can create your own blog without even the slightest knowledge of coding. The fitness themes I have listed here is a great example on how you can integrate complicated time scheduling software, online training programs, trainer pages and payment systems via a simple web interface.
FitPro is a modern and highly customizable WordPress theme fitness blogs and small businesses. The theme boasts of a Visual Composer page builder with elements that you can use on any post page or elsewhere on your website. FitPro supports translations and is multilingual ready thanks to WPML plugin compatibility.
Gym Edge Theme
Gym Edge is elegant at the very least. It is well adapted for yoga, sports club, gyms and other fitness related blogs. It comes with an inbuilt BMI calculator, daily schedule and news bulletin board. It is easy, professional and quick to set up.
Symetric is a fully responsive and modern fitness theme developed using the Bootstrap 3 front-end framework making it smartphone friendly. The theme supports most WordPress plugins and comes in multiple languages.
- iHealth is a free and simple WordPress theme with everything that makes it professional. It is can be used for general fitness blogging or as a health awareness blog. Highly versatile with social media integration.
Recommended WordPress Plugins for fitness Blogs
Plugins can extend WordPress to do almost anything you can imagine. Plugins then offer custom functions and features so that each user can tailor their site to their specific needs. Here are five must try plugins:
- Runkeeper Fitness Feed – This plugin adds a widget which displays up to your last 20 activities.
- Dailymile Widgets – Adds a sidebar that shares your latest workouts with WordPress
- Daily Fitness Tips – Daily fitness and weight loss advice from the personal training team at WorkoutBOX.
- Unit Converter – Detects units of measurement in your blog text and automatically displays the metric or US customary equivalent in one of several possible ways.
- Gym Studio Member Management – You can add calender’s, schedule of classes, login area, chat and much more. One of the best Membership Management plugin on the market.
Great fitness Blogs to Network With and Be Inspired By
- Girls Gone Strong – This is the self declared “women’s fitness authority.” I liked its layout and its intriguing content. Notice how the advertising is done
- CrossFit Los Angeles – It is among the oldest fitness blog and the first to be featured in a national media. It was Established in 2004 by Andy Petranek. Has beautiful design and is properly commercialized.
- Nerd Fitness – this is where the world of comic meets fitness. This blog delivers practical knowledge about exercise and nutrition to help you go from beginner to advanced in no time. Notice the casual manner serious things are discussed
- Fit Bottomed Girls – The only reason this blog made it to this list is because it is run by two busy women, Jennipher Walters and Erin Whitehead. Running a blog is not necessarily a full time job.
I’ve already gone on too long! But still the above ideas are just a scratch on the surface. I would like to tell you more in the course of the year. In order to keep in touch and up to date with the latest trends in fitness blogging or how to create a website in general, sign up for my free newsletter. Once you sign up, I’ll send you periodic emails with valuable information.