Weird Blogs: Prepare to Be Amazed, Creeped Out, and Laughing Hysterically–All At Once
[blockquote source=”Robert L. Ripley”]”I have traveled in 201 countries and the strangest thing I saw was man.”[/blockquote]
Are you weird?
Like the dictionary defines weird: Strikingly odd or unusual, especially in an unsettling way; strange.
If you are, no need to feel weird about it. That could be a good thing. You may have found your blog niche.
People are strange… You too?
Do you like weird things? Speak weird sayings? Got something weird in-the-making?
Perhaps you enjoyed reading the Weekly World News back in the day…well, that black and white newspaper may not be found at supermarket checkouts anymore, but did you know the WWN is still available today as an email newsletter? People are PAYING to receive it in their inbox.
Weird blogs are always in demand, as weird information and bizarre stories are evergreen.
This should encourage anyone wanting to blog about something “weird.”One reader’s weird blog is another reader’s wonderful blog. – Matthew Loomis
People like weird. They will eat it up when it’s served up in a compelling way.
Weirdoes wanting to blog should get excited when they see all the weird bloggers out in the blogosphere doing well in readership and making money! Like I’ve said before, a crowded blog niche means there’s high demand for that niche, and anyone willing to outwork and outsmart the competition can rise to the top.
The Freaks Blog Out At Night
Like a Ripley’s Believe It Or Not Museum, people are flocking to blogs that raise goose bumps on their arms, drop their jaws to their chest, or take them to strange places they have never gone before with a click of a mouse.
Here are some examples that will open your eyes to weird blog possibilities…I’ve put together this weird blog roll to inspire the freaks who dream of blogging “strikingly odd or unusual” content, yet keep their freak flag folded up in a closet because they were under the misguided impression that only “normal” bloggers can succeed.Here’s my 14 favorite weird blogs of 2015.
Share your weird comments or weird questions down in the comments below.
Weird Blogs 2015 – Matthew’s Personal Weird Blog Roll
1. Strange Inventions – Here’s a blog that’s “dedicated to the weird inventions that will make you smile.” Like the Japanese company inventing a robot that sits on your head while you go jogging and it feeds you tomatoes during your run. Or the Chairless Chair, an exoskeleton device you wear on your legs and with the touch of a button, a chair locks into place for you. This comes in handy after a 5K tomato binge.
2. Ripley’s Believe It Or Not blog – Believe it or not, the Ripley’s museums around the world are still raking in the dough. I’ve been to a couple of them, and if you have too, I’m sure you can understand why their blog makes this list. If you enjoyed their weird museum, check out the Ripley’s blog, where strange stories and spooky news reports are published weekly. Believe it….Or not.
3. Oddee – Pronounced Odd-E, this blog will make you LOL when you see all the hilarious posts like 15 Awkward Band Photos or 10 Weirdest Coloring Books. Lot’s of entertainment to be found here, including a few not-actually-humorous posts like 10 People Who Died While Taking Selfies.
4. Nothing to Do With Arbroath – Weird animal stories abound on this blog, some cute and cuddly. Others, not so much. Presented with a straight forward, news feel, this blog gives you silly nonsense that can brighten your day, along with crazy news reports, like the one about a drug dealer who used a snapping turtle to guard his stash.
5. Weird Worm – The early bird gets the weird worm…or something like that.
With a primary focus on the weirdness in American pop culture and celebrities, this blog gets good traffic. You can see the view counts on each post for proof on that. How could enticing headlines like these not draw traffic in our movie and celebrity obsessed global culture? Headlines such as 13 Things You Didn’t Know About the Lord of the Rings Movies and 5 Embarrassing Celebrity Marriages. Aside from the entertainment category, there’s also plenty of standard weird here…like 20 Creepiest Places On Earth. (You won’t see me visiting any of those places anytime soon.)
6. I Have Seen the Whole of the Internet – I don’t know Joanne Casey personally, but you can tell she has a good sense of humor just by the name of her website and her self proclaimed title as “internet caretaker.” She shares lots of photos and short videos of humans at their goofiest, most awkward moments. Like this video of a giant human puppet show that is rather, um, disturbing.
7. Anorak – This site offers a buffet of all-you-can-eat weirdness where you pick out what you want from a well organized spread of strange snacks. The menu bar lists a selection of News, Entertainment, Life, Sport, Flashback, and Photos, with each scrolling down into more specific sub categories. If you’re hungry for weird content, go ahead: snack on Anorak.
8. Dark Roasted Blend – Sometimes you feel like having a bowl of weird with your coffee in the morning. Nothing wrong with that.
Most cereals are pretty weird when you really think about them, so why not shake up breakfast with something completely different? Dark Roasted Blend is full of “weird and wonderful things” that don’t get soggy when you add milk. There’s tons of strange things to see while sipping your first cup of coffee–like the “Futurism” category, where visitors are lucky to find many charming collections to explore: from Exceptional British 1950s Sci Fi Artwork, Futuristic Urban Mega Structures, Hallucinatory Architecture of the Future…and that’s just a few choices inside one category. Careful. This site is “addictive exploration.”
9. Neatorama – Hmmm, here’s an article called 7 Google Search Tricks that Make Life Easier. I must have stumbled upon another dry online marketing blog, or a “learn how to blog” blog….Oh wait! Never mind. There’s plenty of weird here. Neato! This site has lots of neat content that you will find to be, well, neato! Lots of geek stuff (Dr. Who, Star Wars, etc.), plenty of animal photos, there’s even a Neatolicious category (food.)
“This is neat, Wally!” Theodore Cleaver
10. Weird Vintage – This could be better on a WordPress blog ( Cough. Cough. Ahem.) Since I’m a fan of vintage advertising, Weird Vintage makes the list anyway. Check out this collection of old ads from the 20th and 19th century, then imagine what you could do with your own images on a self hosted WordPress blog. 😉
Dear owner of Weird Vintage,
When you’re ready to upgrade your blog, call me.
Weird Food Blogs
You can combine weird within the foodie blog niche. It’s a powerful combination. Here are four bizarre examples…
11. Edible Flowers (TasteSpotting) – Think about how many times your sweetheart gave you flowers over the years (or how many times you gave your sweetheart flowers). Now think about how wasteful you were because you didn’t eat them.
That’s right. You could have gotten more out of the experience than just an eye pleasing, warm fuzzy moment. You could have put nutrition into your body before the flowers just withered and died. Don’t believe me? Check this out, you weirdo! Then never throw your flowers away again.
12. Girl Meets Bug – You can’t get much weirder than a girl who eats insects and blogs about it, amirite? Yet, there’s much more to this blog than that sensationalistic angle.
Daniella Martin is an advocate for insect consumption as a smart, cost effective way to protect the environment. Insects are the most environmentally-efficient animal protein source on the planet, according to her blog, and every squirm-inducing blog post she creates is out to prove it.
Now I did notice she hasn’t blogged recently…doesn’t matter. There’s plenty to see here and this is also a good example of using a blog to promote your book (she wrote one called Edible: An Adventure into the World of Eating Insects and the Last Great Hope to Save the Planet). Weirdly worth checking out for new bloggers or anyone interested in dining on bugs.
13. Someone Ate This – This blog is truly one that will make you laugh and throw up a little in your mouth–like a delicious appetizer paired with a gross entre. Hilariously revolting. Love the blog title.
14. Putting Weird Things in Coffee – Butterscotch pudding. Coca Cola. Bacon grease. This guy is willing to put all sorts of weird ingredients in his coffee and document the whole experience for us on his blog. Really far out food bloggers will get a kick out of this–like a jolt of caffeine mixed with cow placenta. Mmmmmmm. Taste the weirdness.
Weird Blogs Wrap Up
It got weird, didn’t it?
Tell me, what did I leave out? Or, did this list inspire you? What weird blog do you have plans for?
Let’s talk about your weird blogs in the comments.
Who knows, maybe YOUR blog will make the next list of Weird Blogs?